Sunday, April 5, 2009

SA Derby review/The Mousse off trail

What exciting racing we had yesterday! Amazing, though the Pamplemousse and two others were scratched from the Santa Anita Derby yesterday morning it still was nice to watch.




Santa Anita Derby

1.Pioneerofthenile
2.Chocolate Candy
3.Mr. Hot Stuff
4.Take the Points
5.Feisty Suances
6.Unbridled Roman
7.Gallant Son

Very impressive race for Pioneerofthenile. Again he had to face a paceless race and Gomez had to press the pace. He definitely won't have trouble with a paceless race at the Derby though, he will have to deal with the dirt for the first time and I just don't think he can handle it.

Wood Memorial Stakes

1.I Want Revenge
2.West Side Bernie
3.Just a Coincidence
4.Atomic Rain
5.Imperial Council
6.Cellar Dweller
7.Lord Justic
8.Lime Rickey

An even more impressive race from I Want Revenge, stumbling at the start and being able to overcome that and win. Impressive ride from Talamo as well being able to sit chilly till the end. He just might make my number one with the Mousse now off the trail. The Pamplemousse was scratched from the Santa Anita Derby yesterday morning and now that they have x-rayed his legs it was found he had a lesion in his tendon. What a shame. I was so looking forward to seeing him win the Santa Anita Derby then go on and run in the Kentucky Derby. Oh well, I'd rather have him safe and sound then breaking down in a race.


In Oaks news, today Rachel Alexandra won the Fantasy at Oaklawn. Nice win for the filly and now it's on to Churchill Downs! Meanwhile Stardom Bound lost yesterday at Keeneland and finished third to Hooh Why, the winner. I'm beginning to get scared about this filly. She seems to have peaked too soon. She definitely won't be going into the Oaks as the favorite now.

Workouts

Flat out , April 4
Oaklawn Park
One mile
1.43:40 Breezing
Fast
Dirt
1/1


Square Eddie , April 5
Hollywood Park
Six furlongs
1.13:00 Breezing
Fast
Sythetics
13/19

Updated Derby top ten

1.Friesan Fire
2.I Want Revenge
3.Pioneerofthenile
4.Old Fashioned
5.Dunkirk
6.Quality Road
7.Musket Man
8.Desert Party
9.Win Willy
10.West Side Bernie

There is my updated top ten. I have to give POTN his props. He will be carrying SoCal's Derby hopes. Though I utterly dislike Baffert I think he has a real shot to win.
Have a nice evening!
Kirsten

2 comments:

  1. His attitude just rubs me the wrong way. Also earlier in his career he made some comments before the Santa Anita Derby to a female trainer that ticked me off.

    ReplyDelete