Coolmoore Lexington Stakes at Keeneland
1 1/16 miles 117 lbs all except Square Eddie and El Crespo, 123 lbs.
3.Pitched Perfectly 15/1
4.Brave Victory 8/1
5.His Greatness 20/1
8.Square Eddie 9/5
9.El Crespo 10/1
10.Parade Clown 15/1
Even though I don't agree with what Square Eddie's connections are doing, I'm picking him to win. I'll pick El Crespo to place and Omniscient to show.
- Garrett Gomez, the rider of both Pioneerofthenile winner of Santa Anita Derby, and Dunkirk runner up to Quality Road in the Florida Derby, will be announcing his choice for the Kentucky Derby mount on Sunday. (If you ask me I already know what horse he will be choosing by what each horse has accomplished.)
- Quality Road breezed at Belmont and showed no ill effects from the quarter crack that was found after the Florida Derby. He worked six furlongs in 1:12.03 the fastest of the six moves at that distance.
- Eibar Coa decided to ride Musket Man over General Quarters which left Julien Leparoux to take the ride on General Quarters for the Derby.
- Friesan Fire breezed five furlongs in 1:00.40 at Keeneland on Tuesday and was rated the fourth fastest work that day out of 23 moves. Friesan Fire will be shipping to Churchill one week before the Derby.
- Mafaaz after his disappointing effort in the Bluegrass will be skipping the Derby. He was recently moved to Kiaran McLaughlin's barn and will possibly stay in the U.S. and point for turf races here. His connections are also considering gelding him. (THANK GOD!!!! I knew this horse wasn't good enough to be in the Derby. I hated the idea of giving a European horse an automatic berth into our most prestigious race by winning a turf race in England. I mean, they don't give us an automatic berth into the Epsom Derby! Okay rant over.)
- Pioneerofthenile posted a bullet work by drilling a half mile in :46.20 handily. On Thursday he, along with Chocolate Candy, arrived at Churchill Downs.
- I Want Revenge breezed an effortless half mile at Churchill in :50.
- Garrett Gomez picks up the mount from Mike Smith on Stardom Bound in the Oaks. IEAH's Mike Iavarone says it's not a firing of Mike Smith but a way for Stardom Bound to get used to a new jockey for he knows Mike Smith is committed to older female champ Zenyatta. (B.S, I think this is totally ridiculous that they are doing this. I think there is more to this than just the Zenyatta thing that Iavarone isn't telling.)
- Thursday probable Oaks favorite Rachel Alexandra completed a six furlong work in 1:11.60 with "ease and without urging." says Calvin Borel her jockey.
Well enjoy that prep this weekend! It's on ESPN2 tomorrow.